Todays topic could be, equally well, entitled “The Way Forward” but, in many cases, that can only be planned once the start point has been defined and identified and, sometimes, this is the most difficult point of all. We need to consolidate before we move forward.
The process of Finding Your Path goes through the following steps:
- Determining where you are right now (CONSOLIDATION);
- Finding what you WANT to do in the next phase. In other words, defining the next life step you would choose (REVIEWING);
- Identifying what it is that you are most likely to succeed in doing (ASSESSING);
- Bridging the gap between 1 and 2 above (DECIDING); and
- Choosing which option defined in 3 above most suits you at this stage in your life (PLANNING).
It is important to understand that life will not allow any of us a smooth and trouble-free path. It may seem that some people are blessed with such a life but, in reality, they simply are better at hiding their concerns than the rest of us. Everybody who did not start out in the Garden of Eden will experience trials and tribulations, highs and lows, triumphs and disasters and it this simple fact that makes life so very interesting.
Let us start on our journey by finding out what you want to do:
This step involves consolidating by appreciating what has been achieved and what has not been completed and remains outstanding. This can be achieved through completing the following steps:
- Compiling a “bucket list” is the first task you need to complete on this journey. If this process means nothing to you source a copy of the film by the same name and enjoy some escape time during which you will learn and enjoy;
- Once you have your bucket list you need to do some self-assessment with the aim of understanding how your past efforts and the lessons you have learned have equipped you to take the next step. If this process is done correctly, then your next phase in life will become clear and well defined. Once this has been realised, you can then set about preparing yourself to move on;
- This preparation will show you what you need to learn, what tools you will need and what skills will be necessary so that you can successfully complete the next phase you have chosen.
- The first three steps will allow you to identify what you wish to achieve and what you will need to achieve it.
- The final step is planning how you will realise this next goal.
When you have finished to consolidation process you should:
- Know where you have come from and where you are at present; and
- Know what you need to sort out, learn or obtain before you can commence on the next phase of your journey through life;
You will notice there is no time limit to this process, because making a timetable limits the enjoyment to be derived from undergoing the process.
In this step you should undertake a programme which leads you to define what you are capable of completing successfully and what you are not yet capable, or confident, of completing.
As we go through life our abilities and experience grow and change, and this leads to changing priorities, desires, goals and needs. It is important that we re-examine these aspects of our personality whenever we reach the end of a life phase. If we do then our journey has a greater chance of progressing successfully – if we dont the opposite happens.
To achieve this level of understanding it is important that you match your likes, abilities, strengths and needs with your planned goals and objectives. Evaluating who/what you are and what makes you happy, excited, passionate and determined will lead you to the revelation of your way forward and to identify and define your next step. ths speed at which you manage this process depends on you and how much you look forward to your further development. There will come a time in your life when you feel you want, or need, to slwo down. My hope for you is that this stage only hasppens when you have realised most of your younger dreams and aspirations.
Once you have consolidated and reviewed, you should then feel confident in deciding which route you now wish to follow and what goal you now wish to achieve.
In reality this situation involves the assessment of a number of competing options and your task is to choose the option that matches most closely your amibtions, abilities and desires. If you have done the consolidation and review processes properly, the step is not difficult. It will, however, display any weakness in your preceing processes. This is not a problem because the end is seldom realised without revision and re-evaluation. To really satisfy youself, this review and amendment process will lead to the most appropriate result.
Once you have completed the first three steps you will know:
- Where you have come from;
- Where you are in your life journey;
- Where you want to go on the next phase; and
- What you wish to achieve during this journey.
The objective of this step is to work out HOW you will realise your already defined goals during this phase of your life journey.
We have developed a programme which will guide you through this process. Every time you reach the end of a life phase, the process needs to be completed and our programme will be there to guide and assist you throiugh the process.If you are intereste, just contact us and we will help you out. It should be great fun and most exciting.
In the last 10 years, in South Africa, Nissan produced an advertising jingle which is, in this instance, most appropriate : “Life’s a Journey – enjoy the ride”. We hope you follow this advice.